Best review of simple and sinister that will boost your strength
This is a review of Pavel
If you want the most up to date news or ask direct questions, then you can follow me on Instagram.
- Strong first
- Tim Ferris podcast
Book review Simple and sinister
- Warm up
- Kettlebell swing
- It is a swing, not a pull
- Most powerful swings are performed when you imagine giving 80%
- You hinge at the hips, the swing is not a squat
- Your grip is loose, not tight
- The kettlebell is catapulted up to straight arms, not pulled
- Hand maintenance and taking care of calluses is your duty
- Make haste, not speed when performing your reps
- Get tight and breathe out in a hiss at the top of each rep
- Turkish get up
- Be careful and show respect to any weight, especially on the Turkish get-up
- Breathing is regularly on the
get up, don't hold your breath. Breathe normally, focused and controlled
- No jerking movements
- Perform the get up in a way that you would feel safe even if you did it with a 100 pounds
- The getup gives you excellent abdominal activation
- Pack your shoulders
- Volume of swings
- Upright plank
- Anti shrugs
- Not squeezing the kettlebell
- Acceleration swing
- One arm swing
- Double kettlebell swing with different weight
- Weights used
Overlaps with Deadlift Dynamite
How I use the Simple and sinister protocol
You probably wan to get a 24kg, 32kg and 40kg kettlebell if you do not have any yet. Zou can get them at the same time or once you progress. Hereby some options:
Rogue competition kettlebells range from 8kg to 48kg. The advantage of these kettlebells is that they have the same size in all of the increments which leaves you with easier progression between the different weights. Usually, when you get different kettlebells, they also have different sizes and therefore the movements paterns alter ever so slightly. The disadvantage of these kettlebells is that they come at a slightly higher price than other kettlebells based on the brand and the specialised manufacturing process to keep them all the same size (for that some of them need to partially hollow, which is harder to manufacture as it is a two step, rather than one step process).
These kettlebells range from 9lbs to 203lbs and come at a slightly lower price point then the compeition kettlebells if calculates as price per pound. They are single piece cast iron which makes the production less costly than for the competition kettlebells. These tools of strength will increase in size the further you go up the weight scale. Therefore be prepared to adjust technique slightly with the heavier examples of this make.
Perform better kettlebells are the brand which is being offered in the Strong First shop which is directly associated with Pavel and his team. These kettlebells are very much alike to the cast iron rogue kettlebells. They are slightly more expensive as Rogue usually buzs them in bulk due to higher demand coming through their website. I would assume that the cost at wholesale is identical for both.
In the end the kettlebell is a simple tool and it does not really matter that much which brand you get. I personally stick to hwat the experts recommend or brands which I know to have good quality. This is why I listed these three options as I always have been happy with anything I ordered from Rogue and will trust Pavel with what he recommends on his website.
I would not recommend to get a plastic kettlebell down form Tesco. Invest some money. A good kettlebell will last you for a lifetime.