Challenge: Sore today, Strong tomorrow with a squat workout!
Squats are performed in numerous ways, with barbells, dumbbells, Smith machine, kettlebells, plates, and with different leg positions, with one or two legs, to the ground or half way, with bodyweight only, and with various schemes for sets and repetitions.
Just like you change clothes everyday, its adviced to change your workout routine daily to keep your workout fun and motivated. You can try the below Squat workouts to spice up your effort:
Dumbbell squat (at sides. chest or on shoulders)
Single leg squat
Split squat (one leg forward, one back)
One-leg split squat (leg resting on bench)
Hack squat (barbell)
Wide stance squat
Smith machine squat
Body weight jump squat
Wide-stance barbell squat
Barbell Siff Squat
Dumbbell split squat
MAIN MOVE: Bodyweight Squat
Stand with your feet placed shoulder -widhth apart and raise your arms in front or keep them behind your head . Now,lower your body by pushing your hips back and bending the knees . Look straight in front keeping your chest up and back flat . Squat down as low as you can and then pop up to the starting position by pushing through the heels .
Barbell Back Squat
This is the standard big-bar squat. You place a barbell and weights on the trapezius muscles at the back of the neck. You can go ass to ground (ATG) or near enough, or half way. Good technique is compulsory.
Barbell Front Squat
Same barbell, but placed in front on the chest, and sometimes with a cross over grip to keep the bar in place.
The dumbbells can be held in various positions -- on the shoulders, hanging at the sides or at the chest.
Feet are placed wider, and split, for lunges, but the lower body gets a similar workout to that for classic squats. This exercise requires a lunge forward. In the split squat above the feet are stationary.
Single-leg squats are an advanced exercise requiring strength and balance, although you can use various props to assist with balance. For example, with a dumbbell split squat, rest the rear leg on a bench while squatting on the front leg. The unassisted one-leg squat is often called the pistol squat.
One foot forward, one foot back, as you would with a lunge, only not quite as far between foot placement. You can do these with standard barbell back squat -- or with any combination of dumbbells, kettlebells etc of your choice.
Wide Stance Squat
Often called the Sumo stance because of the wide foot placement, wide-stance squats also activate the muscles of the inside of the thigh such as the gracilis and adductor magnus.
Smith Machine Squat
The Smith Machine (a framed rack for weights) is a standard piece of equipment in most modern gyms.
You can set up a Smith machine to do back of front squats with a little extra support and safety. Even so, the limited range of motion limits muscle development compared to a free standing squat.
Place your fingers on the back of your head and pull your elbows back so that they’re in line with your body.Dip your knees in preparation to leap.Explosively jump as high as you can.When you land, immediately squat down and jump again.
Stand holding your arms straight out in front of your body at shoulder level, parallel to the floor. Raise your right leg off the floor, and hold it there.Push your hips back and lower your body as far as you can.Pause, then push your body back to the starting position.
Hold the bar across your upper back with an overhand grip.Before you squat, raise your heels as high as you can and hold them that way for the entire lift.
Hold a weight plate in front of your chest with both hands, your arms completely straight. Perform a squat while holding the weight in place.
Hold a pair of dumbbells at arm’s length next to your sides, your palms facing each other. Stand in a staggered stance, your left foot in front of your right.Slowly lower your body as far as you can. Pause, then push yourself back up to the starting position as quickly as you can. Switch legs and repeat.
Hold a dumbbell vertically next to your chest, with both hands cupping the dumbbell head. (Imagine that it's a heavy goblet). Brace your abs, and lower your body as far as you can by pushing your hips back and bending your knees.Pause, then push yourself back to the starting position.
Important Points to note while Squatting
Don't round the back, going down or coming up. Keep it straight. A rounded back under weight can cause damage to the spine at the upper or lower end.
Keep the knees from going past the tips of the toes as much as possible. This is generally not good for the knee joint. Practice good form and don't get too concerned if this occurs occasionally.
Keep those heels planted firmly on the ground and the knees lined up with the feet and not splayed in or out.
Try not to look down -- look straight ahead -- or at least be aware that your back and butt are in the correct position: back straight, butt extended.
Don't start with weights that are too heavy. Try one to three sets of 6-10 squats to start with.
On getting stronger
- 30 Tips on how to get stronger for lifting
- 3 easy ways for marathoners to get stronger and
- 5 secrets from Pavel Tsatsoulin and Jim Wendler to make you stronger
- 5 steps to run faster, get stronger and be smarter
- 5 Strongmen you should know
- 5 tips to get stronger faster
- 7 websites to stay fit and strong
- Better breathing makes your squat stronger
- Do you need protein to get stronger
- How the get up will make you strong
- How to get 10% stronger in six weeks
- How to kettlebell swing to get amazingly strong
- How your body gets stronger for CrossFit and powerlifting
- Selected quotes from Deadlift Dynamite that will make you stronger
- Selected quotes from simple and sinister that will make you stronger
- Try this deadlift thing to get strong like bull
- Review of butt workouts
On the squat
- Are you sure about wearing the right shoes for squatting
- Bench press or squat first
- Bench press in a squat rack
- Better breathing makes your squat stronger
- Breathing Squat
- Can kettlebells swings replace squats
- Can you squat and deadlift on the same day
- Confidential: Get rid of the machines and hire the squat
- Detailed Smolov squat routine review
- Eager to know about wearing the right suit for squatting
- How to perform a back squat for
- How years of quality cossack squats easily help your fitness
- Overcome these sins of the squat
- Squat: How many reps
- Squat: How to improve
- Squat: When to inhale and exhale
- Squat without pads
- Squat Calculator [Free Downloads]
- The Truth squat or lunges?
- Ultimate 30 day squat challenge that
- What squat is best
- Why are there so many squats in Stronglifts 5x5